Wednesday, December 19, 2012

The Gift Of Giving Instilled In Our Children...




How do we teach this to our children in a materialistic world? Jesus can't really compete with the toys, Santa, the light's, the glitz, the glamour of Christmas. The kids and I read portion's of the Christmas story each day and still when I ask what their favorite part is they always say, "the toys." How do we instill the joy of giving in our children's hearts? We give! We live our lives out in front of them and set an example of the gospel for them to see. 

I came home last night from work and this note was on the mailbox. I sat in the driveway and wept. My daughter wants to help the poor in Haiti. I wish so bad just one person would have stopped. I even thought about leaving money in the mailbox to increase her faith. What if we stopped in our busy day for an 8 year old little girl with a BIG heart. Her prices were very reasonable after-all. 





Today we were invited to a cookie party at a friend's house. We baked cookies and made up bags for them to give away. 





Then the best part! Instead of buying a $5 gift for them to exchange each child put their $5 into this jar. I'll share at the end what was done with the money. 





We had cookies galore. 










Homemade potato soup....yummy.






Then we opened our ears, inclined our hearts, and listened. The money that was in the jar was matched by an anonymous donor and the total came to $175.00. The kids got to go through various books and choose how the money was spent, their gift to Jesus. 


















They purchased a goat, two chicken's, and helped buy a well. AMAZING! Our children were able to live out the gospel today. Jesus says when we do these things for others we are doing them for Him.  



Jesus came and He laid down His life for us. He gave the greatest gift ever given. Could we be like Him? Choose to joy in giving. He laid in a manger on a cold winter's night for you and for me. Give this Christmas! Teach your children to love and serve those around them. Let's take back Christmas from the world. Take back Christmas and serve the One that gave it to us in the first place. 




2 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Wish my kids & I could have been there. Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you guys had so much fun! I have enjoyed looking at your blog and your sweet family. Awesome how you made your own butter...I would love to know how to do that. :) Blessings, Cantina

    ReplyDelete