I thank God, whom I serve with a pure conscience, as my forefathers did, as without ceasing I remember you in my prayers night and day, greatly desiring to see you, being mindful of your tears, that I may be filled with joy, when I call to remembrance the genuine faith that is in you, which dwelt first in your grandmother Lois and you mother Eunice, and I am persuaded is in you also. Therefore I remind you to stir up the gift of God which is in you through the laying on of my hands. For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind. Therefore do not be ashamed of the testimony of our Lord, no of me His prisoner, but share with me in the sufferings for the gospel according to the power of God, who has saved us and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace which was given to us in Christ Jesus before time began, but has now been revealed by the appearing of our Savior Jesus Christ, who has abolished death and brought life and immortality to light through the gospel, to which I was appointed a preacher, an apostle, and a teacher of the Gentiles. For this reason I also suffer these things; nevertheless I am not ashamed, for I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that He is able to keep what I have committed to Him until that Day. 2 Timothy 1:3-12
In 1992 in the gymnasium of Bradley Central High School a young man came to speak to us about his brother that had committed suicide. What he said that day has stuck with me for 20 years. He said, "my brother killed himself for attention, but what he didn't know is that within 15 minutes after death people start to forget you."
I was sitting at work a few weeks ago, holding the credit card of one of my co-workers and it was as if her name stuck out to me in 3-D. God spoke to me and said, "When she dies all she has left is her name. The money in her bank account won't matter, the home she inhabited won't matter, all that is left of her is her name."
It has been 13 years since the death of my sister. I have lost my granny, my mamaw, and my papaw. There bodies have been deep within the earth for a very long time and their memory has faded. I can't remember details of their face, their smell, the way they sound. The things I do remember most are the moments I experienced God with them. When my sister and I sat at the kitchen table listening to my papaw preach a fired up sermon and we cried together. I remember my papaw's round belly when he would hug me tight at the front of the church after he had preached his heart out. When my mamaw was lying so peacefully at the end of her life after struggling for years with panic attacks and a fear of death. Those are the moments that meant the most to me.
I was talking to another lady at work about the coming of the Lord and she made the comment that in every generation there are those that are looking for Christ to come back. (she doesn't believe He's coming.) I told her maybe not, but she will die. We are all going to face death. What legacy are you going to leave behind? Will you be like Lois and Eunice that taught Timothy about their precious Lord, or will you leave just your name?
I have been spending most of my time in deep reflection lately. What is my purpose, what is my gift? The pastor of the church we attended for 8 years made the comment when I had spoke to him of revival that I was like a little ember that could start a FIRE. That is the legacy I want to leave. I want to leave a trail of flames that lead to Jesus Christ. I don't want to be remembered for my intellect, my knowledge of the holy scripture's, or my church attendance. I want to be remembered as a fire that burns brightly for my Lord. I want to encourage others in the faith to push into the flame of God. Burn with passion and desire to count everything as loss and follow hard after the Lord Jesus Christ.
You have the power through Jesus to ignite a fire of revival in your own life.
Jesus, Crucify this flesh, purify, purge, and cleanse us. Light us on fire for you. Help us not to care about our popularity, but focus on our character. Help us to rely completely on the Holy Spirit's power to perform the work you have laid out for us.
The definition of a Christian- Romans 12:9-16 Let love be without hypocrisy. Abhor what is evil. cling to what is good. Be kindly affectionate to one another with brotherly love, in honor giving preference to one another; no lagging in diligence, fervent in spirit, serving the Lord; rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly in prayer; distributing to the needs of the saints, given to hospitality. Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. Rejoice with those who rejoice, and weep with those who weep. Be of the same mind toward one another. Do not set you mind on high things, but associate with the humble. Do not be wise in your own opinion.
fervent spirit- "To boil in spirit." This phrase suggests having plenty of heat to produce adequate, productive energy, but not so much heat that one goes out of control.
No comments:
Post a Comment